Client Keeps Crashing

Hey guys,

I setup a new player using the exact same software versions that I am using on another system, but this one doesn’t want to play nice. Each time the player starts the screen goes black for a moment before returning to the desktop. I also tried configuring Xibo as a screensaver, but I run into the same problem. The only difference with the screen saver is that the screen goes black and stays black rather than exiting. Interestingly, the screensaver previews correctly.

So far I have tried deleting the data directories entirely more than once and I’ve made various adjustments to the configuration to no avail.

Anybody have any ideas?

Player Version: 1.8.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB

Here are the errors logged to the CMS repeatedly for that player:

• EmbeddedServer: Exception running server: One or more errors occurred.
  • Main: Unhandled Exception: A Task’s exception(s) were not observed either by Waiting on the Task or accessing its Exception property. As a result, the unobserved exception was rethrown by the finalizer thread.

Forgot to mention an important detail… Both the screen saver and the normal client are staying in sync with changes to the schedule. The info window even shows which layout is supposedly playing and the screen saver preview displays the updated content.

Try killing any XiboClient.exe processes that are in the task manager. Sounds like you have an instance running in the background somewhere - perhaps even in a different user account.

It’s odd. None of that helped, but I converted that user to an admin and then repaired the install and it seems to work now. Unfortunately it’s supposed to be a screensaver for a kiosk so running as admin isn’t really an option. Hopefully all of that behavior will stick once I get a chance to change the user back to limited.