Change picture automatically

Hi everyone.

Every week there will be a PIC rotation in my organisation, and we will then display the name and picture of PIC manually on Xibo.
Right now I try to automate the task by using ticker and dataset, and I successfully did it with the name.
Is there any way or idea I can use to change the picture according to the name i obtained?
Currently the picture is in media and it is not available in the database that i GET from.

Thank you.

Do you mean that the picture already exists in the Xibo Library, and you need to read a name from an external source, and set the picture to that?

I think you might need to use the API for that actually, or write a custom task to do it…

I think i’d probably go with a custom task actually, pull the name from your external system and then update a Playlist by removing the pic assigned and assigning the new one.

Something like that anyway!

Doc for tasks: https://xibo.org.uk/docs/developer/recurring-tasks

Hi Dan,

Yes you are right.
Currently what I have now is a REST API that I can GET the name of the person in charge.
I will look into the solutions that you provided.
Can I know what language is required to write the task?

Thanks!

Tasks are written in PHP - if you’re doing a HTTP request i’d recommend using Guzzle for that.

You’d also need the PlaylistFactory and MediaFactory injected in setDependencies() so that you can easily to do assign/unassign.

Something like:

// Get the playlist

// Load it, and look at its media, see which one is on there already

// Call the API to get the name

// Compare the name with the existing media assignment

// If different, get the media object for the name, unassign the existing media and assign the new one

// Save the playlist

Something like that anyway!

You could do all of that “from the outside” too, using the API, and then use a language of your choice.