Can we update version 1.2.2 to version 1.7.8 or does 1.7.8 need to be freshly installed on the host server?

We are currently using version 1.2.2 and need to upgrade to version 1.7.8.

Question is can we update the host server from 1.2.2 to 1.7.8 or does it need a fresh install / rebuild?

Thank you in advance.

Question brought up from answer on thread from EPokoly on 7/26/2016 = Xibo version 1.2.2. Need help with RSS Feed ticker

Answer from “dan” on EPokoly thread 7/26/2016 =

The duration is the length of time the entire RSS feed will be shown on screen - i.e. 900 seconds for all items. As far as I recall (it was 5 years ago) 1.2.2 does not have any way to select a number of items from a feed. Of course this functionality is in the latest version, and perhaps even a few versions before that.

I think you are left with 2 choices:
•use a third party tool to pre-parse your feed and select the items you want (something on this list perhaps: Of course this functionality is in the latest version, and perhaps even a few versions before that.)
•upgrade Xibo to a version that supports selecting N items from a feed (1.7.8 would be a good choice)

Both routes are sensible.

Although if you want to upgrade your current CMS, then please do this 1.2->1.4->1.7.8
From 1.4 it should be fine to upgrade to 1.7.8, but from 1.2.2 you will want to first upgrade to 1.4 series.

Peter,

Than you for the quick response.

Would we also have to update the Xibo clients to communicate with the updated host?

If yes can it be done from the host or will each end point have to be redone?

I believe the answer is yes but wanted to double check .

Thank you again

If you’re using Windows clients then it will need to be installed manually on each PC (of course you can do that remotely as well if you have suitable software for that).

Actually Android device would also need to be updated manually, it is possible to auto-upgrade the Android version from CMS, but that option was added in 1.7 R53 it also requires rooted device. Upgrading Xibo for Android

Pete,

Got it and thank you very much for taking the time to break it down for me.

I will update the clients remotely on the Windows computers and noted on the Android machines.

Thank you again!

Great, let us know if you’d encounter any issues post upgrade.