2nd Player in multi display setup crashes

Hi Wonder if you could help

I have 2 players running on one Windows 10 PC They work very well but I have noticed that every now and again the second player will go to a black screen and when I click on it it crashes. I have manually restart the player. Just wondering what would cause this and what to look for.

PC is :slight_smile:
Xeon CPU
16gb Ram
Radeon 7400 (7 display port)

Event viewer reports

The program XiboClientB.exe version 10.8.2.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 2cd4
Start Time: 01d3aaf4cd54a149
Termination Time: 28
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Xibo PlayerB\XiboClientB.exe
Report Id: eeb0147f-e2f0-4c50-95db-4c1ca37243af
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It is always XiboClientB ?

Do you have the WatchDog configured for A/B or both?

Yea always ClientB Watchdog is configured for both players. I have noticed that watchdog has shown in event viewer as well (just spotted it)

Application: XiboClientWatchdogB.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.EvaluateOne(System.String[], System.Configuration.SectionInput, Boolean, System.Configuration.FactoryRecord, System.Configuration.SectionRecord, System.Object)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Evaluate(System.Configuration.FactoryRecord, System.Configuration.SectionRecord, System.Object, Boolean, Boolean, System.Object ByRef, System.Object ByRef)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Object ByRef, System.Object ByRef)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Object ByRef, System.Object ByRef)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(System.String, Boolean)
   at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(System.Configuration.SettingsContext, System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection)
   at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(System.Configuration.SettingsProvider)
   at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(System.String)
   at XiboClientWatchdog.Properties.Settings.get_ClientLibrary()
   at XiboClientWatchdog.Tray..ctor()
   at XiboClientWatchdog.Program.Main()

This usually happens when you’ve got some configuration error in the watchdog configuration file - can you paste the contents of that file here?

Have you made sure you’re running separate embedded web servers for each Player?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <configSections>
        <sectionGroup name="applicationSettings" type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
            <section name="XiboClientWatchdog.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false"/>
        </sectionGroup>
    </configSections>
    <startup> 
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/>
    </startup>
    <applicationSettings>
        <XiboClientWatchdog.Properties.Settings>
            <setting name="LogFileName" serializeAs="String">
                <value>log.xml</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="ClientLibrary" serializeAs="String">
                <value/>C:\Users\Display\Documents\Xibo PlayerB<value/>
            </setting>
            <setting name="PollingInterval" serializeAs="String">
                <value>60</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="Threshold" serializeAs="String">
                <value>120</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="ProcessPath" serializeAs="String">
                <value>C:\Program Files (x86)\Xibo PlayerB\XiboClientB.exe</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="MemoryThreshold" serializeAs="String">
                <value>90</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="UseTaskKill" serializeAs="String">
                <value>True</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="StartWithCmd" serializeAs="String">
                <value>True</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="SleepAfterKillSeconds" serializeAs="String">
                <value>30</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="NotRespondingThreshold" serializeAs="String">
                <value>2</value>
            </setting>
            <setting name="PlayerRestartTime" serializeAs="String">
                <value/>
            </setting>
            <setting name="ProcessCountThreshold" serializeAs="String">
                <value>1</value>
            </setting>
        </XiboClientWatchdog.Properties.Settings>
    </applicationSettings>
</configuration>

That doesn’t look good? Should be <value>C:\Users\Display\Documents\Xibo PlayerB</value> ?

Thanks I will change it this evening

logged in tonight and same thing had happened the second display had frozen. when I click on it it crashes. I have restarted the machine and both players kicked into life I will check again in the morning to see if this has helped.

1 Like

Checked today and it had froze again had to click it to for it to close and then restart.

Does it freeze on the second screen if the first screens Player isn’t running?

Also:

Does it freeze on the second screen if the first screens Player isn’t running?

Not sure cant really do that as its in a production environment.

Have you made sure you’re running separate embedded web servers for each Player?

Yeas the have different numbers

Still cant get to the bottom of this I log into the PC twice a day using Avast Managed Workplace and the second player is just black. When I click it it goes non responsive and then crashes. I have run the player again for it to work. Using Radeon 7400 graphics card if that makes any difference.

Can you confirm that both watchdogs are running now? Can you also confirm that there are no errors in the watchdog status window?

The player keeps a status file updated in the local player library - the watchdog looks at that file to determine whether the Player is active or not.

If the Player screen is black and immediately crashes on interaction i’d be really surprised if that status file is being updated - but perhaps you can check the next time it crashes?

OK will do. We have noticed that there is a lot of CPU usage by both players around 35% each, I take it Xico player does not use hardware acceleration, using the GPU when playing videos.

Videos are played in Windows Media Player, which will use the GPU for codecs that are supported.