2.3.0-beta Released

We are pleased to announce the release of our first beta for the 2.3 version of Xibo. The codename for this version is “Wolf”.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.xibo.org.uk/2-3-0-beta-released/

Thanks! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this software. What i am wondering is when you will release 3.0 and what do you mean by architecture changes? I am asking this because we’re currently using xibo 1.7.7 with custom development. And we want to upgrade it to 2.2.0 soon. So I need to do many changes on CMS. I am really excited for new version and interactive signage :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

Part of having a big application like Xibo is that you need to regularly work on the underlying platform architecture to stay current. The main reason being that old architecture typically doesn’t receive security fixes or improvements.

Xibo 1.8 and 2.x use a framework called Slim2, which we will be migrating to Slim4 in 3.x. None of those changes are visual, but they will be significant code changes and would effect your custom development. We have a similar situation with our front end presentation framework called Bootstrap3, which we will be moving to Bootstrap4 (Material Design).

Alongside that we will be adding new features into the CMS and Players for interactive signage :partying_face:

We’ve started working on all of the above and the exact ordering/release structure will be firmed up as we get closer to having something working. My hope right now is that we will have 2 of the 3 in a 3.0.0-alpha sometime around April.

1 Like