1.8 RC3 - Layout Status Bug

I think this is a bug that’s been around in all 1.8 releases leading up to and including RC3.

When designing a layout, the layouts ‘Status’ doesn’t update to ‘Ready to Play’ until you refresh the designer window.
If a design is updated, and the designer window closed without refreshing, the status will show as a Cog icon on the ‘Layouts’ page.

I’m unsure if this then causes the system to flag the layout at invalid or not and prevent scheduling (haven’t tested).

Shouldn’t the designer automatically check the layout status after any change is made?

This is a separated process on purpose - updating the layout status is the thin edge of the wedge for what happens here - it is actually building the layout.

Building the layout is an intensive process and if we did that after any change, the system would get tied up in knots with increased load (and concurrency problems).

Instead there are 3 things that build layouts:

• The layout designer, at regular intervals
  • The regular maintenance task
  • The XMDS service, on request

If your layouts are remaining at the cog for long periods of time, then perhaps your maintenance routes are not firing as expected?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for letting me know.
We’ll continue to manually refresh the designer after making changes to build the layouts.
I’ll look into the maintenance task as well, as I haven’t previously looked into this (thought this would be automatic, but can see in the manual this is to be manually triggered).

Thanks!

Justin

It is automatic if you’re using Docker, otherwise you have to configure something to call the maintenance routine. If you are using Docker then let us know, as we will need to see why it isn’t running :slight_smile: