1.8 Randomizing Widgets On A Playlist

Will 1.8 include an option to randomize a playlist?

We have a need to randomize a playlist to keep media from becoming stale looking. Will 1.8 include a feature to randomize the playlist? If not, if the playlist is randomized via the API, will each display try to re-download all the media, or will it recognized that it already has the media and just change the playback order?

Also, if you have a moment, can I get the parameters on this?
/playlist/order/:id

Try something like this:

curl -X POST -H “Authorization: token_goes_here” -H “Cache-Control: no-cache” -H “Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded” -d ‘widgets[106]=1&widgets[107]=2&widgets[108]=3’ “http://XiboServer/api/playlist/order/100

I believe the numbers above are self-explanatory. BTW, this is not documented in Swagger

1 Like

Its not in swagger yet because I couldn’t work out how to document it - which usually means the API isn’t right (or rather isn’t optimal)

But yes - the above code should work (thanks ravi).

Random playlists are a feature request: Playlist Random - (Add-on-Playlist)

I don’t mean to bug you on this… but is that a yes? Do you know yet if it will cause the player to re-download all the media?

Thank you ravi. :slight_smile:

It is only a feature request at the moment, so it won’t be included. Unfortunately we have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise we wont ever release the thing.

It may be something we can add in a point release.

No, I don’t think so - the selection of the random item/ordering would happen player side and not CMS side - so the player would always download the whole lot.

Agreed. I was just trying to figure out if we needed to write the code, or if we would just be able to call an API command.

Thank you Dan

1 Like