1.8.0-rc2 with Docker on Windows 10

I installed Docker automatically and ran the first of the ./launcher bootstrap commands and took the defaults settings of the new launcher.env file since the command was launched where I want the data files.

The 2nd run of the command ./launcher bootstrap brings up the file again and a download or an error message never appears. Thus I do not get a CMS login.

The Docker install was tested with this command listed with its output

PS C:\xibo-docker-master> docker run hello-world

Hello from Docker!
This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.

To generate this message, Docker took the following steps:
_ 1. The Docker client contacted the Docker daemon._
_ 2. The Docker daemon pulled the “hello-world” image from the Docker Hub._
_ 3. The Docker daemon created a new container from that image which runs the_
_ executable that produces the output you are currently reading._
_ 4. The Docker daemon streamed that output to the Docker client, which sent it_
_ to your terminal._

To try something more ambitious, you can run an Ubuntu container with:
_ $ docker run -it ubuntu bash_

Share images, automate workflows, and more with a free Docker Hub account:
_ https://hub.docker.com_

For more examples and ideas, visit:
_ https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/_

Docker version for client and server is 1.12.5 with API version 1.24 and goversion go1.6.4

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Additional Information:

When the command ./launcher bootstrap no launcher.env file is created. The PS prompt moves to a new line and windows ask what program to open the launcher file.

You need to use the bash shell, not PowerShell to run launcher.

Bash is provided by the Docker Quickstart Terminal

Hi

i had the same Problem, and it costs me more the 5 Hours to fix it, because it is not exactly described in the installation instruction. Is it possible to bring the installation instruction (especially the Windows part) up to date? So nobody need to ask about that…

If needed i can write some installtion instructions in german. Also I’m in the translationteam for the german language file.

Greetings Torsten

Now my issue is to find Docker Quickstart Terminal. I am not seeing it in my installation of Docker for Windows.

Do you have the Docker Toolbox for Windows installed ? If installed, i had the Docker Quickstart Terminal Icon on my Desktop.

https://www.docker.com/products/docker-toolbox

Gettings Torsten

Thanks Torsten for the response.

I installed Docker for Windows since the PC has the specs for Hyper-V etc. It seems Docker for Windows does not install the QuickStart Terminal. I installed the toolbox version on the same PC did a repair of the Docker for Windows install.

When I launch Docker Quickstart Terminal it gives an error during the pre-create checks.
The error states “This computer is running Hyper-V. Virtualbox won’t boot…”

So for Xibo even if my computer has the higher specs, I have to drop down to the Docker Toolbox installation and use Virutalbox?

I have uninstalled Docker for Windows and will install the Docker Toobox version. Will update results later.

OK, so if you’re using the HyperV version of Docker, then you can’t use launcher because it doesn’t come with bash shell·

You can still use our Docker images, but you’ll need to create and run them yourself. You can see the commands to run in the launcher file - you just need to substitute in the correct parameters as you would running any other Docker container.

launcher is merely provided as a convenience function to help those running the standard Docker installs to get up and running. If you’re doing Docker already and have the Enterprise level kit, then there’s no need to use our launcher.

Thanks Alex for the information. From my post, you can tell Docker is new to me so I will continue to see which version would be best HyperV or virtualbox. Thanks again Torsten and Alex for giving me additional directions.

I’ve added some notes about Docker on Windows to the before you start section.

If you wanted to do that we would be more than happy to include your changes. The manual is generated from a set of markdown sources which you can find in the repository. The source folder contains a sub folder for each language - the English version can be copied from the en folder, to a de folder and translated.

It will be automatically included the next time we build the manual.

You can use Git to Fork and upload your changes - or you can send them to us using this forum.

Hi

i work here: https://translations.launchpad.net/xibo

When i have a little bit more time as now, i have a look to the repository.

I hope it is possible (so if i had time…) to write a full german installation instruction when the 1.8 realesed.

Greetings Torsten

1 Like